You still can't give the speech recognizer a grammar, so you can't
tell it what to expect. You are right though, even some canned, yes/no/
cancel or digit recognizers would be a huge help. Android has an
AlertDialogBuilder, why not have a SpeechDialogBuilder with some
simple options?

The good news is that it appears that the 2.2 api does give us far
greater control over the recognition dialog. For that I am quite
overjoyed.