I fear you don't understand much how Android works, but I'll try to give a
few hints:

Android requires its own kernel, because it includes a few drivers that are
specific to the platform (e.g. the Binder driver used to implement
inter-process communication) or specific configuration settings. You thus
can't run Android properly on a stock Linux kernel, even one compiled for
ARM. For the record, Android currently uses 2.6.27 and there are chances
that trying to use 2.6.24 is not going to work at all, even if you try to
integrate Android-specific changes into it.

The Android kernel sources are available from android.kernel.org. This
includes a virtual platform named "goldfish" corresponding to an ARM-based
virtual machine that can be run in the Android emulator, which is a
derivative of QEMU that includes goldfish hardware emulation. In other words
you cannot use a stock QEMU to run this kernel because it doesn't include
the necessary hw support.

Apart from that, the SDK contains the emulator plus some files in the
tools/lib/images directory that are:

- kernel-qemu: a prebuilt image of the Android kernel built for the goldfish
platform (ARM-based)
- ramdisk.img: the ramdisk image used to boot the system (which includes
Android-specific /init and config files)
- system.img: a YAFFS2 image mounted as / when the emulated system starts
- userdata.img: another YAFFS2 image mounted as /data when the emulated
system starts.

Actually, system.img and userdata.img are not mounted directly, they are
copied into either a temporary file or one in ~/.android/userdata-qemu.img
when the emulator starts up, so should only be considered as initial version
of the corresponding filesystems.

These already contain an ARM-based Android system, including an ARM-based
Dalvik.

You can download the Android SDK from this page:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.1_r1/index.html

The emulator sources are available here too:
http://code.google.com/p/android/downloads/list
(note: the emulator in the 1.1 SDK is the same one than in the 1.0r2 SDK)

The sources of most of the Android platform (i.e. everything that has been
open-sourced) are available from: source.android.com

I still don't understand what you mean by reverse-engineering, but so be it.

Hope this helps