Sharing the solution:

Added tetherable Wifi interface to
"frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml"  as shown below:

  <!-- List of regexpressions describing the interface (if any) that
represent tetherable
         Wifi interfaces.  If the device doesn't want to support tethering
over Wifi this
         should be empty.  An example would be "softap.*" -->
    <string-array translatable="false" name="config_tether_wifi_regexs">
        <item>wlan0</item>
    </string-array>

Since this is device specific configuration, I added it in overlay folder
within device folder
(device/xxx/overlay/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml)

Pragya