HAL implementations are usually in one of a few places:

open source: device/vendor/codename/area/...
    for example Nexus 9 audio HAL is under device/htc/flounder/audio/

open source: hardware/vendor/area/...
    for example Nexus 6P audio HAL is under hardware/qcom/audio/

closed source: could be anywhere else