What's the difference between dex2oat and patchoat?

If I build my system image using WITH_DEXPREOPT := true, does that actually
precompile the dex code into native code, or does it just optimize the dex
code so that later compilation doesn't take as long on the device?  I
thought WITH_DEXPREOPT was supposed to reduce the amount of compilation
needed on first boot, but it appears that system jars still get relocated
to /data.  When using WITH_DEXPREOPT, is there not actually any compilation
occurring during first boot (i.e. just relocating)?  It seems like this
causes wasted space in both /system (because or WITH_DEXPREOPT) and /data
(because of the relocation).  Do I have something configured incorrectly?