Hello ,
You should not edit the fastboot binary , if you do that it will only work
on your pc .
You should change it in the Android Bootloader Sources
platform/bootable/bootloader , and then flash the compiled new bootloader
binary to bootloader partition now your custom commands will work.
But there are a lot of other things to be considered while doing this -
 If the device has been signed by oem ?
 When you do a bootloader bring-up you will also have to configure GPIO
pinouts for uart / serial console.
 After this Bootloader also does the function of low level hardware
initialization such as display panel . At this stage you will also have to
work on panel bring up.