Hi Frank,
In fact I had followed both conventions. I'm not quite sure what was
with this problematic package. Anyhow, I just stripped these
RDEPENDS_${PN} versions on the dependency branch - with no visible
change.

What I noticed from from image build with -D -D switches was that all
the runtime dependencies seemed to be set quite nicely, packages were
written etc. Only doubt regarding this package I found was:
"board-switch_1.0-r0.6_at91sam9260ek.ipk in Packages, but mtime
differs - re-reading"
And naturally, that package and all the packages it was depending on
were missing.

I'll try systematic RDEPENDS_${PN}. Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Matti