Hello.

I have a large number of devices running code from an Angstrom
2010.x-based distro. I want to upgrade them to a more current version of
software, but I am confused which of the meta-angstrom branches I should
follow.

On the meta-angstrom repository I see the following branches:

upstream/angstrom-v2012.05-yocto1.2
upstream/angstrom-v2012.12-yocto1.3
upstream/master

On the meta-openembedded I have:

upstream/denzil
upstream/denzil-next
upstream/master

On openembedded-core there is an extra master-next, 2011-1 and a danny
branch.

As far as i can see the master branches match in creating what you call
angstrom-next; 2012.05-yocto1.2 seems to match the denzil branches from
OE, and danny is mentioned on the yocto project web page as codename for
1.3.

I have managed to compile and perform a test upgrade with opkg to the
current master branches, but the device was unable to boot afterwards
(i.e. systemd would not provide a login prompt, and dbus errors related
to systemd were filling up the console).

At this stage I decided to go to you, Angstrom developers, and ask some
questions necessary for taking a decision on how to proceed further:

Where did 2010.x go? Is it "continued" by any of the current branches?
What are the best practices when upgrading devices based on your distro?
Are there any resources/examples/guides?
What is the procedure for upgrading devices between Angstrom
"releases" (i.e. from 2010.x to 2012.05 or, perhaps, angstrom-next)?
What exactly differentiates 2010.x from 2012.05, 2012.12 and
angstrom-next?

Thanks,

Ciprian