I almost know enough to answer this, but can at least point out some
direction.

First, have you tried a JSON string as opposed to sending an object.

conditions: '{"age": { "$gt": 30 } }'

Second, are you sure the server cannot decoded the escaped characters?  I
have been able to handle both cases with PHP or Node.

Last, do the parameters need to be URL search params? There's also a way to
send JSON as a payload.  I believe you can accomplish this by not passing
them as params, but as part of the resource object:

                var Customer = $resource('http://localhost:3000/api/users');
Customer.conditions = { age: { "$gt": 30 };
Customer.options: { limit: 2 };

This is just off the top of my head so may not work, but it's what I would
try.  Good luck.