Let's be clear about the Anima context for "bootstrapping". You don't have
to look beyond the document abstract:

"  This document specifies automated bootstrapping of a remote secure
   key infrastructure (BRSKI) using vendor installed IEEE 802.1AR
   manufacturing installed certificates, in combination with a vendor
   based service on the Internet."

Obviously it's assumed that there is some kind of *insecure* connectivity
first. Which obviously implies a preceding insecure bootstrap of
some kind, but that is not the topic.

And, repeating myself I think, Anima is primarily aimed at nodes that
manage devices, not at the devices themselves. However, we'd like BRSKI
to be available to all devices, hence Max wrote draft-pritikin-coap-bootstrap.
Again, please read the abstract:

"  This document provides an initial discussion of Bootstrapping of
   Remote Secure key infrastructures (BRSKI) when the device being
   bootstrapped speaks CoAP."

Regards
   Brian