On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 6:59 PM, Brian E Carpenter <
brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31/05/2017 11:30, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> > On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Brian E Carpenter <
> > brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ----------
> ----------

> >> Indeed, but as I understand it they will emulate link-local multicast
> >> over the secured connections.
> >

> > It's not clear to me what that means. You perhaps expect to tie up
> > a connection to every counterparty in the network?
>
> That is exactly what the ACP does, as I understand it.

That's not what I got from 5.4.3, which says:

   GRASP discovery and flooding messages are designed for use over link-
   local multicast UDP.  They MUST NOT be fragmented, and therefore MUST
   NOT exceed the link MTU size.

Perhaps a ladder diagram of how this works would help, both here
and in the document.

>>> That is the trust model, but really as an explanatory matter I think

> >> The starting position is that we trust all autonomic nodes and therefore
> >> the ASAs installed in them. We are in the context of a single operator
> >
> > so this isn't really a stretch.
> >

> > I certainly can see how someone might decide to deploy a system like
> > this, but it seems pretty problematic to have a system that is so brittle
> > to single-point compromise (The term of art here is "distributed single
> > point of failure")
> >

> >> The questions around life cycle
> >> management of ASAs, which would certainly involve authorization,
> >> were intentionally not in the initial WG charter. I think it's true
> >> that you can't have a complete *system* without that, but I disagree
> >> that it's a requirement for the protocol.
> >>

> > At minimum you need to specify that this is your trust model and
> > then work through the implications of compromise of some subset
> > of nodes, as well as of an attacker who can influence which nodes
> > you talk to.
>
> That really, really belongs in the reference model or the ACP draft;
> it's in no way specific to GRASP, because nodes could use any protocol
> they please over the ACP.

It's a WG decision which document it goes in, but it's something
that needs to exist, because otherwise it is not possible to assess the
security of this document.

-Ekr