Inline

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 02:42:29PM +0100, Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF) wrote:
> HI Toerless,
>
> thanks so much for these edits. Unfortunately I have one more question. And
> sorry again for the delay.
>
> Why does your case 2 need an MPTCP connection instead of just opening a
> second separate TCP data plan connection (that of course fails when it
> fails..)?

How do the peers know each others data plane address ?

=> draft text:
  (Only) the GACP address of GACP devices could to be put into DNS.
  When MPTCP builds the first subflow across the GACP, it exchanges the
  data-plane address.

Without MPTCP i need to reinvent a good part of it and i can not imagine how
i would get anyone interested to do that signaling part in a standardized
fashion given how MPTCP does exist.

-> Build TCP connection to responder GACP address.
-> Signal with responder the data-plane address - in a fashion that would
   be backward compatible with a legacy responder/initiator that doesn't
   speak this extension. I wouldn't even know how i could do this via
   TCP payload. Must be at the transport level.
-> Build TCP connection via data-plane addresses.
-> Use policy and/or new signaling to decide to prefer using that connection.
-> Data-plane connection fails.
-> need some scheme to figure out how to rebuild. if - if and when
   available. Including some exponential backoff trying to reconnect. Or
   more likely in our case the data-plane address was unconfigured and gets
   reconfigured maybe differently.  (some SDN controller doing some change
   of addressing to the data-plane), So when one side signals to the other
   side that the data-plane address is gone, then no connection probing is
   necessary.  And when it is available again, maybe different one, gets
   signalled, and we're building the connection again and using it.

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---