Based upon private emails about interoperation attempts, I opened:
      https://github.com/anima-wg/anima-bootstrap/issues/47

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-12#section-2.3.1
explains how a serial-number voucher field is derived from the IDevID fields.

It does not say which party does this. The Pledge can do it when it forms
it's voucher-request. However, if the pledge does not do so, is it valid to
send a voucher-request without a serial-number field, and assume that the
Registrar will do the same thing to find the serial-number from the IDevID?

The problem with having any entity other than the Pledge do the calculation
is that it's the Pledge that will be comparing the resulting voucher, and as
there are multiple ways to produce the serial-number, and they might not be
identical, a voucher could be issued that the Pledge can not verify.

If section 2.3.1 should be applied on the pledge, then we should perhaps say
that more clearly in that section.
The VOUCHER YANG says that the field is mandatory.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-