I presume I am missing something basic.
I have tried to follow this discussion, as it seems to be about a critical aspect of whether the BRSKI work is acceptable.

I have assumed that what we needed is the ability for a buyer, who has physical possession of the device, and possibly some simple (non cryptographic) credentials provided by the seller to force the device to reset what it thinks it is part of, and to emit in some accessible form the information the buyer needs to be able to make this device part of his network, using his authentication servers, etc.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Joel

On 7/14/2019 5:33 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

Eliot Lear <l...@cisco.com> wrote:
     > Whether such a voucher would be pinned is something we do not have to
     > specify, with the risks of it not being pinned being born by the owner.

I beg to differ!
I think that the security properties are vastly different.
It's why we decided when creating RFC8366 not to do bearer tokens.
We simply didn't think we were competent enough to specify it tightly enough
to not become a security disaster.

An unpinned voucher is some kind of bearer token, and if disclosed has
significant operational risk.  As such, keeping it around/online is a serious
issue.

A voucher pinned to the public part of a keypair whose private key is
kept offline (to be turned over to a new owner) is different because there
are potentially far fewer things to keep private.  Worse case, it's perhaps
the same, I would agree.

The bigger problem is that I don't see a way to define such an artifact in a
timely fashion, nor do I know which WG we'd do it in.