On 2021-03-20 18:32, Michael Richardson wrote:

Tomas Gustavsson <tomas.gustavsson=40primekey....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
     >>> It's common in eID/ePassport, such as ICAO 9303, to sign "new with
     >>> old". That way, if trusting the old trust anchor, you can automatically
     >>> trust the new. The other way (old-with-new) I have not seen any use of
     >>> in practice.

     >> The old-with-new and new-with-old practice is described in RFC 2510.

I wandered through the document, it does not have a ToC.
I think section 2.4 _Root CA key update_ ?
The terminology OldWithNew explained in 2.4.1 but not directly.
In RFC2510, it doesn't matter, since we do all four combinations.

     > I know that. I'm merely pointing out that I have not seen anyone
actually use
     > new-with-old in real life. I put a question to the list some time ago
(during
     > CMP update discussion) and no-one (that answered) remembered ever seeing
it
     > in real use.

I see.

     > Old-with-new is fairly trivial, both technically and
     > organizationally. New-with-old puts completely different requirements on
a CA
     > rollover procedure, for in most cases no reason. Anything new designed I
     > would rather see analyze the usage and need instead of simply copying the
     > notation from RFC2510.

Let me expand the terms:
   old-with-new  -> old public key signed with new anchor
   new-with-old  -> new public key signed with old anchor

Hah, I managed to trip myself up, that was funny :-)

I meant of course that new-with-old is what I see used extensively in practice (ICAO 9303 being one example), while I have not seen old-with-new in practice.

(new-with-new is always created of course, as self-signed Root CA certificate)

Cheers,
Tomas