Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> > (1) Flooding (M_FLOOD) messages. These are UDP multicasts, so in effect
    >> > all nodes must agree on the same maximum size. To send messages above
    >> > the present limit, the maximum flood message size would have to be
    >> > increased everywhere in the autonomic network. That is trivial if
    > we
    >> > allow operator configuration, but since an AN should be self-creating,
    >> > we want to avoid operator configuration. Therefore, we need GRASP
    > to be
    >> > able to self-configure this.
    >>
    >> For the flooded messages over UDP, it seems unwise to ever assume we can
    >> reliably get more than 1280 through.  In production, this goes over
IPsec ESP tunnels.

    > Why would that break IPv6 fragmentation? We can assume a well-defined
    > MTU within an autonomic network, I think. These are all link-local
    > addressed packets, so there is no PMTUD problem.

But, it's not over link-local.
It's over a mesh of point to point IPsec ESP tunnels.

Choices are:
  1) fragment before encrypt.  Reassemble after decrypt.
  2) encrypt and then fragment the ESP.
     Depends upon ESP assembly buffer being big enough.

Both tend to work, up to some ill-defined limit which is not always 64K.
(1) is likely easier to fix if it's broken, since re-assembly happens in the
control plane CPU, rather than, possibly, in some IPsec hardware.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )