Salz, Rich <rsalz=40akamai....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
    > I don't think that the IETF hasn't defined any CA/Registrar protocols,
    > other than the BRSKI drafts.

I'm curious about what part of RFC8995 makes you think that there is a
CA/Registrar protocol included... we would have liked to do this, but we
haven't.

    > It "used to be" that almost every CA that wanted to issue certificates
    > for enterprise customers had its own variety of Registrar
    > integration. You couldn't walk down any of the aisles of the RSA
    > conference and not bump into one. They were all custom, private. A
    > subset had protocols or API's that let you plug your enterprise
    > identity system (e.g., ActiveDirectory) into their provisioning
    > system. I don't know if that kind of thing is still popular.

Yes, that's my experience as well.
That's why getting all the right stuff into the CSR is so important.

    > As for your earlier question, could a certificate end up having things
    > that weren't in the CSR? Yes. Often or always. The obvious ones are
    > issuer, validity period; sometimes keyUsage and extendedKeyUsage, the

and often policy OIDs and SCTs and ...
It's often this bloat that becomes really annoying when running protocols on
challenged networks.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )