On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 04:43:36PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Toerless Eckert <t...@cs.fau.de> wrote:
>     > 2. I would suggest to move RFC7030 to normative references. This would
> make
>     > it consistent with lightweight CMP references also being normative, and
> given
>     > how the endpoint naming scheme is derived and meant to be backward
> compatible with
>     > EST, and EST being explicitly mentioned several times in that context..
>
> Do people implementing the CMP-AE need to know what EST is in detail?
> That doesn't jive with me.  I think it can stay informative, but it's really
> a quibble.

Yeah, i was just trying to do formal due diligence walking through the shepherd
template and comparing with the draft. Given how the draft is generalizing
th well-known/<protocol>/ concept introduced with EST and repeatedly refers
to it as the original reference, it seems very much like a formal normative
rference.

But also: BRSKI-AE does not really mandate _any_ particular protocol. If i would
take on your argument, i could equally say that lightweight CMP is just an
informational
reference.

Cheers
    Toerless