This draft might change those requirements, it could use more reviews:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mediaman-suffixes/

I personally think we should not assume every structured suffix will also
be a registered sub type.

I think we should:

1. Move the normative statements to a document and out of the registry.
2. Update the registry policy to have specification required.
3. Detail the processing guidelines from right to left, in a way that does
not create exceptions.
4. If 4 is impossible, document the exception and take steps to avoid them
in the future.