I made my own version of Animata that read in the Animata XML files and
rendered them using a custom-made renderer built using Cinder.

I think the project needs some serious re-thinking or its just not worth using
- my thoughts are towards the end of this article:

http://pixelist.info/augmented-reality-dancing-creatures/

I teach animation and I would love a better 2D open source puppet engine, but I
don't have a ton of time to devote to it right now unfortunately.  If someone
was willing to help out I do have a lot of ideas for how this could work
better, and a decent codebase that works cross-platform (OS X and Windows but
not Linux yet, sadly)

Cheers
Evan