Hi

I would suggest you take a look at OpenCV.  OpenFrameworks has great addon
for OpenCV, and I am sure Processing has something too.  Otherwise, if
you're on a mac, you can do that easily with Quartz Composer.  1024 (
http://1024d.wordpress.com/) has a great plugin named ParticleWarfare with
some composition examples, one of them being motion detection.

I've seen some examples out there using kinect and openNI that are
absolutely astonishing.  Unfortunately it only works on windows, though.
 Google for them.

Hope that helps!

Roger

(+34) 639 81 26 71