i'd first figure out what your mixer can output, like midi or dmx, what mixer are you using?

then you can take the midi (or whatever) into some software on your computer... I am a fan of VVVV but there a lots of ways to do this, unfortunately none are super easy if this is a new concept for you. You can convert the midi messsaging from your mixer to an osc stream that talks to animata over udp. osc is a standard type of communication that many apps use, basically a bundling of multiple parameters in a format that is easy to parse (like x,y,speed,whateverelse the comma delineated messaging makes it easy to parse on the recieving end). udp is a network term, it's kind of a force-fed way of communication across a network that provides the least amount of lag which is ideal for realtime situations like live performance and video streaming. instaead of having the network constantly handshake and do simple error correction or check for packet loss, udp just pushes a data stream straight through, not caring if it is losing tons of packets along the way. the osc, as read by animata controls the character you setup with bones ahead of time. i do this but basically with a Kinect as a controller instead of a mixer... the concepts are the same however as the kinect is just pumping out lots of position data the way your mixer would.

i'm not sure if that clears anything up for you... and please people, correct me if i'm wrong on any point.

Alpay Kasal
Engineer
http://Supertou.ch
twitter: @alpaykasal