Hi Gian Paolo,

I've ran into this problem a couple of times with Rpy2 and although I don't know all the techical details, here's what I think and what solved the problem for me on OpenSuSE 11.3 64-bit.

libRlapack.so shipping with R-base RPM for OpenSuSE 11.3 (and at least 11.2 before that) seems to be built with incompatible version of libgfortran. I managed to find the details once, but didn't find them again, sorry.

I got it working on OpenSuSE 11.3 (64 bit), but this requires building R, Rpy2 and Rkward yourself. You can try the following:

1. build R (2.12.0) from sources with --prefix=/usr and --enable-R-shlib and flags

2. try "from rpy2 import robjects". If you get an import error with "libR.so not found", add a file R-x86_64.conf into /etc/ld.so.conf with a single line:

/usr/lib64/R/lib

3. run ldconfig as root

4. Install rpy2 (2.1.8) with pip (or easy_install), not through Yast

You would also have to build Rkward yourself, otherwise Yast will want to pull in dependencies.

Hope this helps,

Joona

Hi Anne
Thanks so much for answering.
I did try and both, system and/or QGIS Python version are the same: 2.6.5.
Then I tried the import rpy2.robjects as ro in the python console of
QGIS but
I do not understand the type of error. This is the outcomming text from the
Kconsole or the Python console of QGIS:

 >>> import rpy2 as rpy2
 >>> import rpy2.robjects as ro
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
File "/usr/share/qgis/python/qgis/utils.py", line 291, in _import
mod = _builtin_import(name, globals, locals, fromlist, level)
File "/usr/local/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/rpy2/robjects/__init__.py",
line 12, in <module>
import rpy2.rinterface as rinterface
File "/usr/share/qgis/python/qgis/utils.py", line 291, in _import
mod = _builtin_import(name, globals, locals, fromlist, level)
File
"/usr/local/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/rpy2/rinterface/__init__.py",
line 66, in <module>
from rpy2.rinterface.rinterface import *
File "/usr/share/qgis/python/qgis/utils.py", line 291, in _import
mod = _builtin_import(name, globals, locals, fromlist, level)
ImportError: /usr/lib64/R/lib/libRlapack.so: undefined symbol:
_gfortran_concat_string

I do not know where to go from here...
thanks,
Gian Paolo