[this announcement is also available online at http://s.apache.org/FT0]

High-performance, fault-tolerant Open Source "Big Data"  powerhouse scales
petabytes of data at Adobe, Cisco, Expedia, IBM, Morningstar, Netflix, PBS,
Rackspace, Twitter, US Government, and more.

Forest Hill, MD –24 April 2012– The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the
all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 Open Source
projects and initiatives, today announced Apache Cassandra v1.1. The
highly-scalable, distributed database quickly and reliably handles massive data
sets across community machines, large server clusters, and data centers without
compromising performance –whether running in the Cloud or partially on-premise
in a hybrid data store.

"Apache Cassandra is the leading scalable NoSQL database in terms of production
installations --the 1.0 release was a huge milestone," said Jonathan Ellis,
Vice President of Apache Cassandra. "v1.1 improves on that foundation with many
features and enhancements that developers and administrators have been asking
for."

Apache Cassandra is rapidly garnering accolades as a best of breed "NoSQL"
solution for its ease of use, powerful data model, enterprise-grade
reliability, tunable performance, and incremental scalability with no single
point of failure. Super-efficient, Cassandra accommodates high query volumes at
exceptional speed (sub-millisecond writes) with low latency, and handles
petabytes of data across formats and applications in real time.

Apache Cassandra v1.1 features improved caching, revised query language (CQL
–Cassandra Query Language– a subset of SQL), storage control, schema/structure,
Hadoop integration/output, data directory control, and scalability.

Successfully handling thousands of requests per second, Apache Cassandra is
deployed at Adobe, Appscale, Appssavvy, Backupify, Cisco, Clearspring,
Cloudtalk, Constant Contact, Digg, Digital River, Expedia, Formspring, IBM,
Mahalo.com, Morningstar, Netflix, Openwave, OpenX, Palantir, PBS, Plaxo,
Rackspace, Reddit, RockYou, Shazam, SimpleGeo, Spotify, Twitter, Urban Airship,
US Government, Walmart Labs, Yakaz, and more.

The largest Cassandra production cluster to date exceeds 300 terabytes of data
over 400 machines.

"The v1.1 release shows how rapidly Apache Cassandra has matured. The focus has
clearly shifted to usability which is the sign of a solid system. I look
forward to getting it into production right away," said Patrick McFadin, Chief
Architect of Hobsons. "With features like Row-level isolation and Composite
keys, Apache Cassandra v1.1 is really addressing user driven needs with
innovative solutions. Well done to all contributors for making this a great
release."

Jeffrey Abbruzzi, Director of eCommerce Engineering and Operations at
Williams-Sonoma, added, "In Apache Cassandra, the Williams-Sonoma, Inc.
eCommerce team has found a platform that addresses fundamental challenges we
faced in modernizing the foundation of our gift registry systems: the need for
top-flight performance, fast and reliable replication among geographically
distributed nodes, and lack of any single point of failure. We're excited about
the release and how it can help us continue to evolve the world-class websites
of our Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, PBTeen, Pottery Barn Kids, and West Elm
brands."

"We applaud the continued hard work of all of the contributors to the Apache
Cassandra project, who continue to make Cassandra the most scalable,
easy-to-use, high-performance NoSQL solution available," said Robin Schumacher,
VP of Products for DataStax. "We look forward to including Cassandra v1.1, with
all the improvements it brings, into the next version of our DataStax Community
Edition, as well as upcoming versions of our DataStax Enterprise Edition."

Cassandra entered the Apache Incubator in 2009, and graduated as an Apache
Top-Level Project (TLP) in February 2010. Apache Cassandra v1.0 was released in
October 2011.

Availability and Oversight
Apache Cassandra software is released under the Apache License v2.0, and is
overseen by a Project Management Committee (PMC) that guides the Project's
day-to-day operations, community development, and product releases. Apache
Cassandra source code, downloads, documentation, mailing lists, and related
resources are available at http://cassandra.apache.org/.

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees nearly one hundred
fifty leading Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server — the world's
most popular Web server software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process known
as "The Apache Way," more than 350 individual Members and 3,000 Committers
successfully collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade software,
benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are
distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates
in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's
official user conference, trainings, and expo. The ASF is a US 501(3)(c)
not-for-profit charity, funded by individual donations and corporate sponsors
including AMD, Basis Technology, Citrix, Cloudera, Facebook, GoDaddy, Google,
IBM, HP, Hortonworks, Huawei, Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, PSW Group,
SpringSource, and Yahoo!. For more information,
 visit http://www.apache.org/.

"Apache", "Apache Cassandra", and "ApacheCon" are trademarks of The Apache
Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their
respective owners.
#  #  #

= = = = =
Boston +1 617 921 8656