Dear community,

The Apache Groovy team is pleased to announce version 2.5.0-alpha-1 of
Apache Groovy. Apache Groovy is a multi-facet programming language for
the JVM.
Further details can be found at the http://groovy.apache.org website.

This is a pre-release of a new version of Groovy. We greatly
appreciate any feedback you can give us when using this version.

About the version number: Groovy normally has a series of betas and RC
(release candidates) when introducing a new version. We have
designated this release as "alpha-1" because we are still finalizing
some aspects of an improved final variable analyzer and
polishing/documenting Groovy macros/macro methods. Specific details of
either of these features may change slightly.  Most other features are
stable and feature complete and a release containing those features in
Groovy 2.5 is long overdue, so we wanted to make those available and
also receive further feedback around macros. We hope you enjoy this
new version of Groovy.

This release includes 165 bug fixes/improvements as outlined in the changelog:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318123&version=12338913

Some highlights include:
* Macros, macro methods and AST matching
* New @MapConstructor and @AutoImplement AST transformations
* Improvements to many other AST transformations
* Improvements to groovysh and groovyconsole
* Annotation-based CliBuilder support
* JSON/JAXB improvements
* A new "tap" alternative to "with"

Sources can be downloaded from: http://www.groovy-lang.org/download.html
Convenience binaries, SDK and documentation can be found at:
http://www.groovy-lang.org/download.html
Jars are also available within the major binary repositories.
We would like to thank all people who contributed to this release.

We welcome your help and feedback. For more information on how to
report problems, and to get involved, visit the project website at
https://groovy.apache.org/

Best regards,

The Apache Groovy team.