The Apache OpenNLP team is pleased to announce the release of version
1.8.1 of Apache OpenNLP.
The Apache OpenNLP library is a machine learning based toolkit for the
processing of natural language text.
It supports the most common NLP tasks, such as tokenization, sentence
segmentation, part-of-speech tagging, named entity extraction,
chunking, parsing, and coreference resolution.
The OpenNLP 1.8.1 binary and source distributions are available for
download from http://opennlp.apache.org/download.html.
The OpenNLP library is distributed by Maven Central as well. See
http://opennlp.apache.org/maven-dependency.html for more details.
Java 1.8 is required to run OpenNLP Maven 3.3.9 is required for
building it building from the Source Distribution.
# What's new in Apache OpenNLP 1.8.1
This release introduces many new features, improvements and bug fixes.
The API has been improved for a better consistency and many deprecated
methods were removed. Java 1.8 is required.
Additionally the release contains the following noteworthy changes:
- A new Language Detection Component
- Support for Irish Sentence Bank formats
- Support to train the sentence detector and tokenizer on the UD corpus
- Evaluation tests now support ISO-639-3 language codes
- Convenience methods to load models from a path
- Refactored the Data Indexer Code
- Optimized NGram creation loop to better leverage CPU cache
- Refactored BratNameSampleStream
- Remove deprecated code from util package
- Redesigned web site - https://opennlp.apache.org
- New logo for the project
A detailed list of the issues related to this release can be found in
the release notes.
Thanks again to all contributors and committers for their help.
--The Apache OpenNLP Team