[this project is available online at https://s.apache.org/j1GJ ]

FOUNDATION OPERATIONS SUMMARY
Second Quarter, Fiscal Year 2018 (August - October 2017)

"As a large Cloud Infrastructure company, LeaseWeb relies on a number of
Open Source technologies to deliver our services. The activities of The
Apache Software Foundation –and in our case, the Apache CloudStack
project in particular– allow us to keep bringing innovative, quality
services to the market. We are very proud to be a sponsor!"
--Robert van der Meulen, Technical Evangelist, LeaseWeb (ASF Platinum
Sponsor)

> President's Statement: Our steady growth continues, with 6 new Top-Level
> Projects this quarter. Fiscally, we remain on track for FY18, with expenses
> under control and income coming in on budget. Notable in this quarter was the
> Foundation's coordinated response to the Equifax data breach, which was
> ultimately determined to be caused by Equifax's failure to install patches
> provided for Apache® Struts™ exploit. This effort involved the Marketing and
> Publicity, Struts PMC, and ASF Security teams; as well as and a board member
> (Chris Mattmann) who participated in same-day broadcast media interviews.

Other highlights:

 - Conferences is increasingly looking to participate/co-locate with
 existing and lower cost events;
 - Trademarks continues to show a steady increase is questions, answers,
 and merchandise;
 - Infrastructure continued to expand the "self service" toolset,
 allowing authorized committers to perform operations that previously
 required infrastructure staff; and
 - Marketing and Publicity led the response to the Equifax data breach.

> Conferences and Events: In May of this year, as mentioned in our last report,
> we ran ApacheCon North America in Miami. This was the final event produced
> under our agreement with The Linux Foundation. At a meeting in Miami, and in
> the time since then, we have been considering how we will run the event going
> forward, and have investigated a number of possible avenues. In this report,
> I discuss two of the ways that the Apache Software Foundation will be doing
> events in the coming year.

 - Participating in existing events: As you know, there are many
 hundreds of events every year, and some of these events have
 substantial overlap with various Apache projects, or groups of Apache
 projects. It makes a lot of sense to participate in those events
 directly. To this end, we have reached out to a number of organizations
 that produce events, and requested an Apache track. We’ll set a theme
 for that track, based on the emphasis of the particular event, and
 curate the content that will be presented there. We'll try, in each
 case, to also provide an "Apache Way" talk, so that these audiences can
 learn more about how Apache operates. The first three events that fall
 into this category are LinuxCon China, Open Source Summit North
 America, and Open Source Summit Europe, produced by the Linux
 Foundation. These events may be found at
 https://www.lfasiallc.com/linuxcon-containercon-cloudopen-china ,
 http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-north-america
 and http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-europe
 respectively, and the CFP for each event is now open, with an Apache
 category in each. The emphasis for these events is "Apache: Tomorrow's
 Technology Today", and focuses on incubating, or recently graduated,
 projects at Apache. We are also attempting to participate more fully in
 events that focus on a particular one of our projects, such as
 MesosCon, Spark Summit, and so on.
 - Colocating with existing events: We are currently in talks with
 Berlin Buzzwords and FOSS Backstage - https://berlinbuzzwords.de/ -
 about running ApacheCon Europe colocated with their 2018 event, the
 week of June 10th, in Berlin. The overlap in our communities and our
 subject areas makes this a great fit, and we hope it will result in a
 cost savings for both events, and cross-pollination between the project
 communities. Look for announcements as soon as we have something firmly
 planned.
 - Producing lower cost events: We are also working with the people that
 produce Flock - the Fedora user conference https://flocktofedora.org/ -
 about doing an event in that style for ApacheCon North America. We are
 currently hunting for a date, and should have an announcement soon. The
 Apache community has long asked for an event which is lower cost,
 possibly located at a University campus, without the frills of a major
 convention. This makes the event more accessible to student attendees,
 but also poses scheduling challenges.
 - Sponsoring and Participating in Apache Events: If you are interested
 in sponsoring an upcoming Apache event, follow @ApacheCon on Twitter
 for announcements, calls for papers, and calls for sponsorship, over
 the coming months. We will be looking for sponsors and partners in each
 of the above categories.

If you have any questions or comments about our event strategy, please
contact Rich Bowen, VP Conferences, at rbo...@apache.org

> Community Development: During this quarter our main focus was to promote an
> Apache presence at existing conferences with a booth or presentation content.
> In early September we were invited to present a 3 day track and a keynote at
> the Solutions Hamburg conference. This is an established conference that has
> approximately 5000 attendees. It was a good opportunity to reach a new
> audience and inform them about Apache and its projects. Our 3 day Apache
> track was presented in a combination of English and German and consisted of a
> Developer-Centric day, a DevOps-Centric day and a Foundation-Centric day. The
> most popular talks were related to Micro-Services and Open Source Licensing.

The Open Source Summit in Prague during October featured several Apache
related presentations including a keynote and a mix of other technical
and community related content. We also had the opportunity to present
the results of our Apache Committers Diversity Survey as part of the
Diversity Empowerment Summit. During the conference we were also able to
record some attendee interviews for our podcast channel FeatherCast.
Community Development ran the Apache booth at MesosCon EU which was
co-located as part of the Open Source Summit. Feedback from attendees
was very positive and showed a keen interest in learning more about
other Apache projects as well as the Foundation itself.

Another task this quarter has been the preparation of marketing
materials that can be used at events to help promote the role and
mission of the ASF. An information brochure has been developed and
translated into several languages. The brochure is currently available
in English, Catalan, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian and
Japanese. Also marketing related was the discussion about the
introduction of Apache Community Business Cards. The idea is to have an
Apache style business card that could be given out to people. This would
be very useful for people who are at an event representing their Apache
role or project or for volunteers at the ASF booth that want to give
their out their contact information to someone they have been speaking
to. Feedback to this has been extremely positive and we have will be
promoting the use of community business cards to committers and
projects.

Our mailing list traffic has increased this quarter as a result of
several interesting discussions and the re-vitalisation of our task and
issue tracker.

> Committers and Contributions: Over the past quarter, 1,647 contributors
> committed 47,831 changes that amount to 16,483,455 lines of code across
> Apache projects. The top 5 contributors during this timeframe are: Daniel
> Gruno (661 commits), Oliver Lietz (572 commits), Jian He (558 commits), Claus
> Ibsen (540 commits), and Varun Saxena (491 commits).

[please refer to graph at https://s.apache.org/j1GJ ]

All individuals who are granted write access to the Apache repositories
must submit an Individual Contributor License Agreement (ICLA).
Corporations that have assigned employees to work on Apache projects as
part of an employment agreement may sign a Corporate CLA (CCLA) for
contributing intellectual property via the corporation. Individuals or
corporations donating a body of existing software or documentation to
one of the Apache projects need to execute a formal Software Grant
Agreement (SGA) with the ASF.

During Q2 FY2018, the ASF Secretary processed 203 ICLAs, 13 CCLAs, and 4
Software Grants. Apache committer activity can be seen at
http://status.apache.org/#commits

> Marketing and Publicity: Over the ASF's 18 year history, marketing and
> publicity activities have focused on raising awareness of the Foundation's
> collective successes that include highlighting milestones with Apache
> projects, communities, and events.

This quarter presented unprecedented levels of crisis communications
activity in response to the Equifax data breach. Our all-volunteer
technical and executive teams must be lauded for their extraordinary
efforts in helping us respond to the media surge by identifying
spokespeople in a very short timeframe, and preparing official
statements across time zones and geographic locations, with special
thanks to those who worked throughout their holiday vacations. We would
like to recognize those who helped escalate and troubleshoot the issue
internally, notably René Gielen, Łucasz Lenart, Mark Cox, and Mark
Thomas, who contributed to countless editorial and interview preparation
cycles, and Chris Mattmann, who participated in broadcast media
interviews with primary television networks. We also worked with ASF
legal counsel to draft our official response to the US House Committee's
panel hearing.

We issued 9 press releases during this timeframe, as well as one
Foundation statement. They include:

 - MEDIA ALERT: The Apache Software Foundation Confirms Equifax Data
 Breach Due to Failure to Install Patches Provided for Apache® Struts™
 Exploit https://s.apache.org/7bip
 - Response From The Apache® Software Foundation To Questions From US
 House Committee On Energy And Commerce Regarding Equifax Data Breach
 https://s.apache.org/rjmv
 - Foundation Statement: Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA

In total this quarter, we handled 92 media queries and appeared in
32,777 news articles.

> Brand Management: The fall quarter in the Northern Hemisphere brings a
> regular uptick in requests and questions, which continues to require effort
> to provide timely and complete answers to questioners, especially outside
> parties. We've also seen a large uptick in requests to create non-computer
> merchandise (shirts, giveaways, etc.) using Apache brands. Most of these
> requests are a good way to help promote awareness of Apache projects and
> their contributors, and are well in line with our policy:
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/merchandise

While a few Apache project PMCs continue to actively monitor uses of
their brand and raise issues appropriately, the rapid growth in popular
projects, both in the Big Data space and elsewhere, continues to be an
issue with our capacity to provide knowledgeable and timely responses to
questions.  We will be investigating new ways to invest in our ability
to provide the branding and trademark services that our many Apache
projects deserve.

All of the ASF's education and policies around trademark law for Open
Source as well as brand management are published online, and we urge
project participants and software vendors alike to review and ask us
questions about them - please review our complete site map:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

On the registration front, we continue to work with counsel to process
renewals and registrations for projects.  While most are
straightforward, some are complex, and require a significant amount of
both our limited volunteer officer time as well as our counsel's time.

As Apache projects power more of the Internet every day, we look to the
companies that profit from Apache software products to fully respect
Apache brands. We very much appreciate the companies that pass on their
**completed** trademark registrations along with the codebases they
donate to the Apache Incubator. Having existing registrations makes
managing trademarks much simpler for the ASF.

While many companies continue to give credit to our volunteer
communities, sadly some companies continue to take advantage of our
non-profit work by unfairly co-opting Apache project brands or by
interfering with Apache project governance.

Reviewing and correcting these mis-uses is an ongoing effort for the ASF
Board, the Brand Management Committee, and all Apache projects.

Please contact the Apache Brand Management team
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/contact with your questions or
suggestions!

> Legal Affairs: The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) Legal Affairs team works
> diligently with our pro-bono legal counsel and answers legal questions, and
> addresses policy issues regarding license compatibility for The Apache
> Software Foundation.

In the last quarter, the Legal Affairs team worked with several ASF
communities concerned about the use of Facebook's React.js web framework
and its inclusion in Apache projects. After a detailed analysis and
decision, the committee forbade the use of React within Apache projects
under the Facebook BSD+Patents license. This also applied to other
software licensed under BSD+Patents. After the September Apache Board
meeting, Facebook decided to relicense the React.js software from
BSD+Patents to the MIT license. This re-enabled the use of React.js
within Apache projects.

The traditional legal questions surrounding license guidance on software
included in Apache products continue to come in and to be answered in a
timely fashion. In the last quarter, the committee has also helped
requestors:

 - Clarify how software grants should be accepted from external
 companies donating software to the ASF.
 - Identify whether importing code version control system (VCS) history
 from external entities that may include category-X software should be
 handled.
 - Understand the implications of downstream service providers that
 redistribute Apache Software under different licenses.
 - Decide on the inclusion of public test files in repositories and
 whether it should be considered "fair use".
 - Use externally licensed design software to construct an Apache
 project's website.

The committee is a Board committee and reports directly Apache Board of
Directors. We are eager to meet and serve the needs of our projects, in
collaboration with our pro-bono counsel.

> Infrastructure: Infrastructure has been busy with its continued program of
> decommissioning our hardware, and moving services onto Cloud-provided
> hardware and VMs. Over time, this has provided marked increases in our
> reliability and service to the Foundation's projects.

During this past quarter, we upgraded the Jenkins build master and added
many more build nodes. The service is used by very many projects, with a
great variety of needs. It is a challenge to keep pace, but the team has
done well in this regard.

As in previous quarters, we have been moving more projects over to the
GitHub-based set of tools. This program has been successful, and the
Foundation's communities have been taking advantage of the offer.

Much of our work over the quarter has been behind-the-scenes -- managing
our remaining hardware, dealing with service issues, updating our mail
archive systems, and other tasks. However, in August, we did roll out a
new user-facing tool for projects to directly perform many service
requests which used to require a Jira ticket.

[please refer to statement at https://s.apache.org/j1GJ ]

> Fundraising: The ASF Fundraising team would like to welcome Assembla, Blog
> Starter, Mobile Slots and Wise Buyer to the Apache Family.

Over this past quarter we have been creating our Directed Sponsorship
program working with sponsors to meet and recognize the specific needs
of the foundation and our projects.  We'll officially launch this in Q4
2017.

We'll also be increasing our sponsorship rates starting in January for
the first time in our 18 year history!

As ever, thank you to our Sponsors http://apache.org/foundation/thanks .
Your donations are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.

# # #

Report prepared by Sally Khudairi, Vice President Marketing & Publicity,
with contributions by Sam Ruby, ASF President; Rich Bowen, Vice
President Conferences; Sharan Foga, Vice President Community
Development; Chris Mattmann, Vice President Legal Affairs; Shane
Curcuru, Vice President Brand Management; Greg Stein, ASF Infrastructure
Administrator; Tom Pappas, ASF Member and Vice President, Finance &
Accounting at Virtual, Inc.; and Kevin McGrail, Vice President
Fundraising.

and visit http://www.apache.org/, the ASF Blog at
http://blogs.apache.org/, the @TheASF on Twitter, and
https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-apache-software-foundation.

(c) The Apache Software Foundation 2017.

= = =

NOTE: you are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the
announce@apache.org distribution list. To unsubscribe, send email from
the recipient account to announce-unsubscr...@apache.org with the word
"Unsubscribe" in the subject line.