[this announcement is available online at https://s.apache.org/Wv9i ]

Open Source microservices framework in use at CeeWa Intelligent Technology,
Huawei Cloud, iSoftStone, itcast, MedSci Medicine, Pactera, PICC, Tongji
University, among others.

Wakefield, MA —24 October 2018— The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the
all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source
projects and initiatives, announced today Apache® ServiceComb™ as a Top-Level
Project (TLP).

Apache ServiceComb is an Open Source microservices software framework that
enables developers to easily build and manage microservices-based applications
efficiently and conveniently. The project was originally developed at Huawei
and was donated to the Apache Incubator in November 2017.

"We are very proud that ServiceComb has arrived at this important milestone,"
said Willem Jiang, Vice President of Apache ServiceComb. “ServiceComb has
evolved from a microservices software development kit to a full microservices
solution in less than a year. While incubating in Apache, the number of
ServiceComb users grew rapidly, and new developers are constantly coming in. It
is amazing to grow at such a high rate."

As a one-stop microservices solution, Apache ServiceComb contains 3
sub-projects:

1) Java-Chassis - an out-of-the-box Java microservices SDK that includes four
parts: service contract, programming model, running model and communication
model, with a complete set of microservices governance abilities such as load
balancing, fallback, rate limiting, and call stack tracing. Microservices
governance and business logic are isolated.

2) Service-Center - a high-performance, highly available, stateless Golang
implementation of the Service Discovery and Registration Center based on Etcd,
which provides real-time service instance registration, real-time service
instance notification, and inter-service testing based on contract.

3) Saga - provides an eventual consistency solution for distributed
transactions which could be a pain point of microservices.

Apache ServiceComb's highlights include:

 - Asynchronous kernel - both synchronous and asynchronous programming models
based on VertX effectively ensures high performance and low latency, both in
traditional enterprise applications or in emerging businesses such as
e-commerce, Internet, and IoT, to avoid avalanche effect when reaching peak
loads.

 - Out-of-the-box experience - developers using the scaffolding website
start.servicecomb.io, can launch microservices-based projects with integrated
service registration, discovery, communication and microservices governance
capabilities, and centralized configuration by default.

 - Open API - automatic code generation and isolating logic code from
governance streamlines the DevOps pipeline, enabling different teams to
efficiently and independently develop and manage code, test, and document using
bidirectional contract files and OpenAPI.

Apache ServiceComb is in use at dozens of organizations, including CeeWa
Intelligent Technology, Huawei Cloud, iSoftStone, itcast, MedSci Medicine,
Pactera, PICC, and Tongji University, among others.

"In 2015, Huawei Cloud launched microservices-related services, and this is the
original code base of ServiceComb," said Liao Zhenqin, General Manager of
Huawei Cloud PaaS Product Department. "Apache ServiceComb is the core of Huawei
Cloud microservices engine CSE. It is the defacto standard at Huawei, and is
widely used on many major products, including Huawei Consumer Cloud, Huawei
Cloud Core, Huawei EI, among others. We are very happy to see ServiceComb's
rapid progress at in the Apache Incubator, and encourage more engineers to
continue to accept and contribute to Open Source by becoming a part of the
Apache Software Foundation volunteer community."

Huawei Consumer Cloud depends on Apache ServiceComb's high performance, low
latency, and asynchronous technology to implement a 1,500+ node scale
microservices that supports 400 million online mobile phone users. Using
ServiceComb, the queries-per-second more than doubled, while reducing latency
by 45%.

"We use Apache ServiceComb to build our 'intelligent brain' for drone control.
ServiceComb is an out-of-the-box microservices solution, which provides the
microservices governance abilities without any coding," said Zhou Sujian,
Chief Architect of CeeWa Intelligent Technology. "Compared with using or
implementing a traditional RPC framework, a lot of development resources are
saved. With ServiceComb, both the team development and the node deployment
efficiency are doubled, which are very exciting. We are also very happy to see
ServiceCombs work on integrating Open Source distributed tracing systems such
as Apache Zipkin, Apache SkyWalking and Prometheus, which greatly improved our
cross-node chain tracing ability, and the team's efficiency to locate and solve
problems."

"As microservices architecture is not a single-point technical issue, we need
to response the rapid change of technology, organization, and processes flow,"
said Bao Yongwei, Vice President of Product Engineering Center at iSoftstone
Smart City Technology. "Apache ServiceComb Java-Chassis does a good job, its
core is implemented entirely on service contract which is based on OpenAPI that
can help us automatically generate service skeleton code. This allows our teams
to smoothly integrate our Smart City business system into microservices. We are
very happy to see that our employees actively participate in the ServiceComb
project and learned the Apache Way of open development with the Apache
community. Apache ServiceComb is a star project, we strongly believe that
participating in the ServiceComb community will help improve our software
engineers' abilities."

"Apache ServiceComb has a solid community and a comprehensive technology
background. The project's commitment to making it easier for enterprises to
embrace microservices and cloud computing is impressive," said Yu Yang, Dean of
itcast Institute. "Itcast selected ServiceComb as a microservices technology
teaching material for education and training based on its good concepts on
microservices design, excellent technical practice and perfect community
documentation."
"Graduating as an Apache Top-Level Project demonstrates that all contributors
have a place with Apache ServiceComb, whether they were part of the project
before it arrived at the Apache Incubator or joined the community during the
incubation process," added Jiang. "It is a pleasure to collaborate with
volunteers in this open, equal, and diverse environment. We welcome new
ServiceComb contributors to help with code development,  evangelizing on
innovations in microservices, promoting community development 'the Apache Way',
and other ways of participating."

Availability and Oversight
Apache ServiceComb software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is
overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A
Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations,
including community development and product releases. For downloads,
documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache ServiceComb, visit
http://servicecomb.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/ServiceComb

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350
leading Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's most
popular Web server software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as
"The Apache Way," more than 730 individual Members and 6,800 Committers across
six continents successfully collaborate to develop freely available
enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of
software solutions are distributed under the Apache License; and the community
actively participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and
ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and expo. The
ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded by individual donations
and corporate sponsors including Aetna, Anonymous, ARM, Bloomberg, Budget
Direct, Capital One, Cerner, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google, Handshake,
Hortonworks, Huawei, IBM, Indeed, Inspur, LeaseWeb, Microsoft, Oath, ODPi,
Pineapple Fund, Pivotal, Private Internet Access, Red Hat, Target, and Union
Investment. For more information, visit https://apache.org/ and
https://twitter.com/TheASF

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "ServiceComb", "Apache
ServiceComb", and "ApacheCon" are registered trademarks or trademarks of the
Apache Software Foundation in the United States and/or other countries. All
other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

# # #

NOTE: you are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the
announce@apache.org distribution list. To unsubscribe, send email from the
recipient account to announce-unsubscr...@apache.org with the word
"Unsubscribe" in the subject line.