[this announcement is available online at https://s.apache.org/315iv ]

Open Source distributed Big Data middleware ecosystem used for partitioning
data, distributed transactions, and database orchestration by more than 120
organizations, including video sharing site Bilibili, commercial bank China
MINSHENG Bank, telecommunications and mobile provider China Telecom, eCommerce
retailer JD.com, and delivery courier ZTO Express, among many others.

Wakefield, MA —16 April 2020— The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the
all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source
projects and initiatives, announced today Apache® ShardingSphere™ as a
Top-Level Project (TLP).

Apache ShardingSphere is a distributed Big Data middleware ecosystem. The
project was originally developed at Dangdang Information Technology, and was
submitted to the Apache Incubator in November 2018.

"Graduating as a Top-Level Project reflects the efforts of the Apache
ShardingSphere community over the past year and a half," said Liang Zhang, Vice
President of Apache ShardingSphere. "Since entering the Apache Incubator,
ShardingSphere has evolved from a JDBC driver for sharding into a distributed
ecosystem. We thank our mentors, contributors, and the Apache Incubator for
their support, especially during the challenges with the coronavirus outbreak.
Moreover, the community has been active and diverse, with more than 120
contributors from all over the world involved with the project."

The Apache ShardingSphere ecosystem has 3 sub-projects that form the database
solutions nicknamed “JPS” for:

 - ShardingSphere-JDBC —a lightweight Java framework that provides extra
service at the Java JDBC (“Java Database Connectivity”) layer. It provides
service in the form of JAR (“Java ARchive”) that requires no additional
deployment or dependencies. It can be considered as an enhanced JDBC driver,
which is fully compatible with JDBC and all kinds of ORM (Object/Relational
Mapping) frameworks.

 - ShardingSphere-Proxy —database proxy that provides a database server that
encapsulates database binary protocol to support all developed languages and
any terminal.

 - ShardingSphere-Sidecar (TODO) —a Cloud-native database agent of the
Kubernetes environment that controls the access to the database in the form of
sidecar (supporting services deployed with the main application). It provides a
mesh layer interacting with the database, known as “Database Mesh”.

Apache ShardingSphere's highlights include:

 - Completely distributed database solution that provides data sharding,
distributed transactions, data migration, as well as database and data
governance features.

 - Independent SQL parser for multiple SQL dialects that can be used
independently of ShardingSphere.

 - Pluggable micro-kernel that enables all SQL dialects, database protocols and
features to be plugged-in and pulled-out by service provider interfaces.

Apache ShardingSphere is in use at more than 120 organizations, including
Bilibili video sharing site, China MINSHENG Bank, China Telecom Bestpay,
DaoCloud, JD.com, Tingyun, and ZTO Express, among others.

"Glad to see the ShardingSphere community and contributors grow actively," said
Hao Zheng, Senior Director of Jingdong Digital Technology Center. "It has
already promoted and pushed the IT architecture of many enterprises to improve
rapidly. ShardingSphere is widely used across JD.com, which validates its power
and flexibility. Congratulations on graduation of Apache ShardingSphere from
the Incubator!"

"In the past two years, we have witnessed ShardingSphere grow from small to
large," said XiaoHu Zhang, General Manager and Senior Director of China Telecom
Bestpay Technology Innovation Center, and Apache ShardingSphere committer.
"It's a vibrant community with a group of contributors who are constantly
contributing to it. Congratulations! We graduated!"

"Today, the number of customers and scenarios faced by the enterprise is
increasing exponentially," said Grissom Wang, Products Vice President of
DaoCloud. "Therefore, application architecture needs to transform from a
traditional monolithic architecture to a microservice architecture. At the same
time, more flexible data governance capability is needed, which can inherit the
most familiar relationship database technology to meet the increasing data
volume or new data usage scenarios. Relational database middleware is a
suitable solution: it allows applications to continue to use the relational
database access method, and at the same time fully and reasonably utilize the
computing and storage capabilities of multiple relational databases in a
distributed scenario. We researched many Open Source technologies, and chose
ShardingSphere as the core component of DaoCloud database governance because of
its functional characteristics, openness, scalability, and active community
that meet the needs of the enterprise."

"Congratulations to the Apache ShardingSphere community," said Von Gosling,
Apache ShardingSphere Incubator Mentor, original developer of Apache RocketMQ
and OpenMessaging. "Graduation from the Incubator marks an important milestone
for the Apache ShardingSphere project. This is recognition of the focus and
hard work of the project members to learn The Apache Way and drive community
around ShardingSphere. I am honored to have helped the project to successfully
graduate, and wish its continued development in Cloud-Native Era."

"I am glad to see the ShardingSphere community becomegraduate from the Apache
Incubator," said Dongxu Huang, Founder and CTO of PingCAP. "The community
should be very proud of their abiity to develop such good Open Source software.
With the continued efforts of the Apache ShardingSphere community, I am
confident of their continued success in the future!"

"Apache ShardingSphere is a good Open Source distributed database middleware
solution," said Lixun Peng, Member of MariaDB Foundation, Oracle ACE Director,
and Vice President of ACMUG, the All China MySQL User Group. "Open Source is
the mainstream of the world's software development. It's nice to see Chinese
enterprises and developers become more invested in Open Source. I hope
ShardingSphere continues to grow as part of the family of excellent Apache Open
Source products."

"The construction and growth of the Apache ShardingSphere community has
promoted the impressive development of Open Source products with new options
for enterprise IT architecture," said Grace Guo, Sales Director of MySQL.
"Congratulations on the graduation of Apache ShardingSphere! Looking forward to
building collaboration between Apache ShardingSphere and MySQL communities to
provide more diversified solutions for Open Source technologies and
enterprises!"

"It's fantastic to see the work of the Apache ShardingSphere community being
recognised," said Martin Woodward, Director of Developer Relations at GitHub,
"We've been thrilled to see the community grow really well over the past two
years with now over 120 direct contributors. This is thanks to the great work
of the maintainers welcoming people to their project, with support from the
Apache Software Foundation and their mentors. The team have also done a superb
job on their documentation with easy-to-understand instructions available in
both English and Chinese. Congratulations to everyone involved: a valuable
addition for the whole Java community!"

"I'm very glad to hear that ShardingSphere graduated successfully," said Yanwei
Zhou, Founder of ArkDB and Chairman of the Open Source database committee of
China Computer Industry Association. "Another Open Source database project led
by Chinese technology enthusiasts has officially become an Apache Project,
which will further promote the development of Open Source database
architecture, allowing more and more users to share the benefits of the
technology ecosystem. I look forward to it continuing to get better and better."

"Congratulations to ShardingSphere for graduating as an Apache Top Level
Project," said Yuchen Zhao, President of Tingyun, "In the past a few years,
I’ve been very excited to see the progress that the ShardingSphere community
has made, and expect the project will grow tremendously in the near future and
make a deeper impact on database orchestration. As data becomes increasingly
crucial for the digital world, Apache ShardingSphere provides an essential set
of distributed database middleware solutions and implementations for making IT
architecture easier, more robust, and secure. I recommend Apache ShardingSphere
to anyone interested in building database solutions on massive and distributed
data."

"Since entering the Apache Incubator, the ShardingSphere community has adopted
The Apache Way of self-governance and has substantially increased the number of
people using, developing, and supporting the project," said Craig Russell,
Apache ShardingSphere Incubator Mentor. "The community has worked hard to make
several releases under the Apache License and are expanding ShardingSphere’s
functionality to meet the needs of the expanding number of Cloud-based
enterprises that use the project."

"Apache ShardingSphere is on its way to becoming a standard distributed
database solution," added Zhang. "When we were developing our initial
architectural features and database dialects, it was clear that we needed
contributions beyond those from our small group of dedicated individuals to
accomplish the task. Thanks to our growing community, we are pleased to be
graduating with our release goals completed. We welcome additional contributors
to join the project to further diversify the Apache ShardingSphere community
and develop a more flexible and lightweight platform together. It is a pleasure
to collaborate with contributors in the open, and promote a fair and friendly
atmosphere where we can enrich ShardingSphere and its community the Apache Way."

Catch Apache ShardingSphere in action at ShardingSphere Workshop (Beijing; 18
April 2020), DTCC (Beijing; 4-6 June 2020), and TiD (Beijing; 26-29 July 2020).

Availability and Oversight
Apache ShardingSphere software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is
overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A
Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations,
including community development and product releases. For downloads,
documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache ShardingSphere, visit
http://shardingsphere.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/ShardingSphere

About the Apache Incubator
The Apache Incubator is the primary entry path for projects and codebases
wishing to become part of the efforts at The Apache Software Foundation. Code
donations and communities from external organizations and existing external
projects enter the ASF through the Incubator to: 1) ensure all donations are in
accordance with the ASF legal standards; and 2) develop new communities that
adhere to our guiding principles. Incubation is required of all newly accepted
projects until a further review indicates that the infrastructure,
communications, and decision making process have stabilized in a manner
consistent with other successful ASF projects. While incubation status is not
necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does
indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF. For more
information, visit http://incubator.apache.org/

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) is the world’s
largest Open Source foundation, stewarding 200M+ lines of code and providing
more than $20B+ worth of software to the public at 100% no cost. The ASF’s
all-volunteer community grew from 21 original founders overseeing the Apache
HTTP Server to 765 individual Members and 206 Project Management Committees who
successfully lead 350+ Apache projects and initiatives in collaboration with
7,600 Committers through the ASF’s meritocratic process known as "The Apache
Way". Apache software is integral to nearly every end user computing device,
from laptops to tablets to mobile devices across enterprises and
mission-critical applications. Apache projects power most of the Internet,
manage exabytes of data, execute teraflops of operations, and store billions of
objects in virtually every industry. The commercially-friendly and permissive
Apache License v2 is an Open Source industry standard, helping launch billion
dollar corporations and benefiting countless users worldwide. The ASF is a US
501(c)(3) not-for-profit charitable organization funded by individual donations
and corporate sponsors including Aetna, Alibaba Cloud Computing, Amazon Web
Services, Anonymous, ARM, Baidu, Bloomberg, Budget Direct, Capital One,
CarGurus, Cerner, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google, Handshake, Huawei, IBM,
Indeed, Inspur, Leaseweb, Microsoft, ODPi, Pineapple Fund, Private Internet
Access, Red Hat, Target, Tencent, Union Investment, Verizon Media, and Workday.
For more information, visit http://apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/TheASF

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "ShardingSphere", "Apache
ShardingSphere", and "ApacheCon" are registered trademarks or trademarks of the
Apache Software Foundation in the United States and/or other countries. All
other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

# # #

NOTE: you are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the
announce@apache.org distribution list. To unsubscribe, send email from the
recipient account to announce-unsubscr...@apache.org with the word
"Unsubscribe" in the subject line.