Hi All,

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify/summarize here are some thoughts and problems:

Yes, I know the the galaxy client supports using other git backend systems
via the git protocol. We are currently doing this, but I will like to avoid
it. Each time we reference a git repo with the ansible galaxy we need to
find a way to get a credential to the server fetching the roles so that it
can be downloaded by the ansible-galaxy command. (Obviously we can use
public repos but that isn't the point)

Another major reason why I would like the galaxy server to host different
git backed systems is so that it discovery of roles, and dependancy
management of roles (where roles depend on other roles) can be quite
completed to manage without something like Ansible Galaxy Server
understanding meta.yml and composing these dependancies for you.

Another big reason this is useful, is it helps us have a registry of roles,
this makes our development faster as we can don't have to repeat ourselves,
if we can easily discover roles that have been created by other teams (the
whole point of Ansible Galaxy). This registry is important for me, as I
would like to use it to make self service systems easier to make, as the
user can pick and chose roles that have been created, and deploy these to a
machine.

@Greg
In respect of your comment before. Yes, I agree it will be an invasive
change. I think it its sill useful in the downstream Galaxy. This is
because some companies may have their git systems public, and may want to
use the public ansible galaxy system, and not have to maintain a mirror in
public Github.

I was thinking (again, I'm not super good at architecting a solution like
this) that if the ImportRoles task was an interface , and we implement each
type of git backend system (GithubImportRoles, BitbucketImportRoles,
GitlabImportRoles, etc etc) then we can interface this. The problem might
be with migration of data from old to new due to model/db changes.

Yes, the naming super confusing. As mentioned, here:
https://github.com/ansible/galaxy-issues/issues/201

Thanks,
Sriram