We are happy to announce the availability of Ansible 2.3.0 RC1!

There are many new things to try out with this release:

* Shared code for modules can now be placed in "module_utils" directories
local to your playbook and/or roles to make it easier to share code across
locally developed modules.
* Allow async tasks to work when an action plugin is used.
* Added a new "dense" callback to produce a more condensed output.
* A total of 1034 modules (~140 more than 2.2), including:
  - A new group of modules to aid in automating your Ansible Tower
instances.
  - A new group of modules for managing oVirt.
  - A few new modules for AWS, including support for KMS and ECS/ECR.
  - More below...

For Windows:

* Pipelining support for faster module execution (~20-50% performance boost
for many modules).
* Support for the "runas" become method to execute as a different user and
allow for transparent second-hop authentication in many cases.
* Many other improvements for existing WIndows modules such as check mode,
and other fixes for the winrm connection type.
* Fourteen new modules, including:
  - win_domain
  - win_domain_controller
  - win_domain_membership
  - win_path
  - win_region
  - win_shortcut

In the network space:

* We’ve introduced new performance upgrades and additional vendor support.
For more information about what’s new with Ansible Networking, take a look
at our blog post (
https://www.ansible.com/blog/networking-features-in-ansible-2-3), and check
out the expanded list of Network Modules now available here:
http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/list_of_network_modules.html.
* This release brings the total number of networking modules up to 267.

We are tracking a handful of issues for this release candidate that we
expect to have fixed by the time we release version 2.3; you can monitor
the list of known issues here:

https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue%20is%3Aopen%20milestone%3A2.3.0

How do you get it?

The tar.gz of the release can be found here:

http://releases.ansible.com/ansible/ansible-2.3.0.0-0.1.rc1.tar.gz
SHA256: 0f1f12449e3a981c2f0206ec35cfcccbe8d989b64db1464e53fee30e1e3b2fea

You can also test against the git repository as follows:

$ git clone https://github.com/ansible/ansible.git
$ cd ansible
$ git checkout <tagged version>
$ git submodule update --init

You can then source our testing script:

$ . hacking/env-setup

or you can build your own .tar.gz (output will be in the dist/ directory):

$ make sdist

If you discover any errors, or if you see any regressions from playbooks
which work on 1.9.x and prior, please open a Github issue and be sure to
mention you're testing against this release candidate.

Thanks!

James Cammarata

Ansible Lead/Sr. Principal Software Engineer
Ansible by Red Hat
twitter: @thejimic, github: jimi-c