I still don't see support for this with Ansible 2.4. What is puzzling is
that terraform supports this, and I would debate that terraform is a newer
automation tool in the environment.

I have submitted a feature request
here. https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/31383

The method I use to work around this limitation is just... well ugly.