On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Wayne Warren <wayne.warre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy folks!
>
> So I am relatively new to ansible as a user, but I think I've found some
> bugs I would like to try my hand at hacking this weekend:
>
> https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/29008
> https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/33693
> https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/33177
>
> These appear to me on the surface to be somewhat related. I ran into
> https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/33177 myself today when I thought
> I might be able to radically simplify some scripts I am writing to spin up
> disposable kubernetes development environments for the team I am working on
> using kubespray as a git submodule in one of our repos.
>

> Anyway, I thought I would hit up this list with a couple questions before
> going off on my own...
>

> First off, I saw this comment from someone who appears to be a developer on
> the Ansible team. The way it's worded suggests that there is either ongoing
> or upcoming planned work on that team to address these issues. If that's
> true then maybe I shouldn't spend any time myself doing something that will
> likely be superceded by someone more knowledgeable about the codebase to
> begin with.

Yes, that comment is from bcoca and he's currently working on a major
refactor of the code that's 1) caused that bug .. and 2) made it so
difficult to fix/maintain

Effectively, once that work is done we should have a number of bug
fixes able to be closed *and* more maintainable code.

> Second, if no one is working on this already then how likely would a rookie
> contributor like myself (who is undaunted by difficulty levels provided the
> code is well-tested to begin with) to take this on with some focused effort
> over a weekend or two? Could anyone on this list give me some pointers to
> get started?

Unfortunately this particular strand of bugs is not likely a good
candidate for someone new to Ansible in the current state of that
section of the code, however bcoca is working very hard to change that
through his refactor work so hopefully it won't be so daunting in the
future.

Feel free to reach out anytime, we're always happy to have new contributors!

-AdamM