Apologies, I've only just seen this.

This is now fixed in devel - k8s takes a merge_type param - you can either
pass 'merge' explicitly for Custom Resource Definitions or, as of this
morning,
['strategic-merge', 'merge'] for all resources - if it fails to patch using
strategic-merge, it will fall back to merge.

https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/42219
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/44821

You'll need to update openshift to 0.6.1 or above to make use of merge_type

As always, you can use devel modules with stable Ansible
http://willthames.github.io/2017/12/12/using-updated-modules-with-stable-ansible.html

here the caveat at the end is very important - you'll want to copy
module_utils/k8s/raw.py and common.py

Will