It won't look in the playbook root when inside a role, no.    Sorry I
mispoke on that one.

You can path the src as {{ lookup('file', playbook_dir + '/filename') }} if
you want this, and it will find things there using the (derived) path of
the playbook root.

Ansible will look in the root if you are not using roles.

Relative pathing would also find it.