A possible approach that I will try today is:
1. create the VPC
2. create the security groups with their custom settings within the VPC *and
a dummy one*
3. launch the WHOLE batch of EC2s at once, *in the dummy SG*
*4. have some subsequent tasks moving random EC2s (as they share exactly
the same specs) in different SGs.*
*5. play around with the EC2s based on their SG membership*