The most actual case with my configuration is: I have multiple machines
with the same apache configuration (application) except for ssl
certificates. Would one put the whole certificate into a variable (looks
strange to me)?

@Michael Peters:
I am using monit for monitoring. And depending on machine there are
completely different services to monitor. I could also do multiple roles
like 'monit_webservice' , 'monit_db', 'monit_application_a',
'monit_application_b' for just one configuration file. .... this would mean
a certain amount of duplication and it seems odd in terms of clarity. Also
some applications do not support a 'conf.d/' style. In my actual setup i
can see on a per-machine basis which services are monitored.