I salute the initiative and effort. FWIW, I've been using Vagrant with the
"normal" Ansible provisioner quite successfully for about a year now. Never
felt the need of having something like ansible_local provisioner. Was
briefly looking at a few arguments behind this and one was going about
doing it because Puppet/Chef have similar provisioners. Well, with the risk
of sounding arrogant/dismissive: Ansible is not Chef/Puppet. To me, to
install Ansible in the guest is like running ansible-pull via a cron-job:
although supported, not so "ansiblish" and embraced by pure Ansiblings
(smile). Maybe wrongly see this like a threat to the "agentless" feature.
I'm sure there will be loads of adepts and heck, I'll try it out myself,
who knows, might even like it after all.
Hope I didn't offend anyone; that was not my intent. I believe everything
created around Ansible is worth the appreciation and respect, so that's my
honest opinion on the mater.

Dan.