Also, since a version prior to 2.0 it's been possible to specify the mode
using non-octal notation. That is:
mode=ug+rw,o-rwx

Or, in a playbook:

- name: Update permissions on a file.
  file:
    dest: /path/to/file
    owner: user
    group: group
    mode: ug+rw,o-rwx
    state: file

Personally I prefer this method and recall being quite happy when it was
implemented mostly because I just don't like octal notation.