Does anyone know of any good examples of having more than one instance of
an app per box?  Most examples seem to be grouped into something like
web_servers group has boxes 1,2,3 and has a nice, neat *one* httpd on 1,
*one* httpd on 2, and *one* httpd on 3.  Problem I'm having is that I'm
working with an Apache httpd setup where there aren't any nice, neat
divisions like that.  Apache httpd is on all the boxes, but box 1 might
have conf appA, appB, and appC and box2 might have appB, appC, and appQ.

I've got something that sort of works based on a combination of group_vars
files (appA.yml, appB.yml, etc) and clunky site.yml tasks like

- hosts: all
  become: true
  become_user: my_webadm
  vars_files:
    - group_vars/appA.yml
  roles:
    - httpd
  tags:
    - appA

- hosts: all
  become: true
  become_user: my_webadm
  vars_files:
    - group_vars/appB.yml
  roles:
    - httpd
  tags:
    - appB

And inventory is a flat file like

box1
box2
box3

My concern is it doesn't easily scale to add in other environments or
apps.  Eventually we'll need to add in "dev" and "qa" and "staging".  I
realize this isn't a great description and I don't expect a full solution.
I'm just looking for examples beyond just okay here's a tomcat on box1,
box2, and box4 and an apache on box 2 and box 4.