On 13. okt. 2016 15:47, 'Anas Theo' via Ansible Project wrote:
As I have described in the previous comment, the problem was due to DNS
searching for a DNS server that has not been accessible from the hosts. For
that reason, I have tried to setup for these hosts, only the variable that
I was going to use, using filter options like "filter=ansible_hostname" .
However, it seems that the search time is the same. Is there any option to
get the facts I want independently from the rest of them, in order to boost
the performance of setup. Thanks for your help.

The setup module have gather_subset.
Set gather_facts to false and run the setup module with a subset in the playbook.

- setup: gather_subset=!all

This will give very few facts, maybe this one is faster?

Or you could disable gather_facts and just run the same command as ansible do the find hostname.

- command: python -c "import platform; print platform.node().split('.')[0]"
  register: hostname

If you have the same name in ansible inventory file you could just use inventory_hostname, then you would not need to gather facts at all.

--
Kai Stian Olstad