On 30. nov. 2016 03:29, stewart.p...@gmail.com wrote:
I've created a small demo below which demonstrates my problem.
I can't seem to invoke the with_items and call {{item}} later on. What am I
doing wrong? I've tried searching obviously but I can't find the direct
answer, sorry for the newbie question.

My playbook invokes a role, and below is my role:
  - name: Mytest to register a variable
    find: paths="/tmp/demo/" patterns="*.txt"
    register: r

  - name: mytest to show my results
    debug: msg="{{item}}"
    with_items: r

The above doesn't give the desired result. When i change my task mytest
into
  - name: mytest
    debug: msg={{r.files.0.path}}
then i do get the first .txt file found, I can't seem to make it
dynamically.

- name: mytest to show my results
  debug: msg="{{ item.path }}"
  with_items: r.files

Ultimately I'm trying to create a loop true a directory, and based on the
file extension I want to invoke a certain action. For example, if the file
extension is .sh, then invoke shell. If it's .sql, then invoke sqlplus, and
more extensions. If the extension is not listed then copy the file. Perhaps
my whole approach is wrong in the first place, I'm trying to take it step
by step of course, which might lead me in a wrong direction?

It sounds like a wrong approach, but that doesn't mean that is wrong.
But there may be better ways reach your objective.

You could try explaining what you are trying to achieve and maybe someone on the list could help you toward a more correct direction.

--
Kai Stian Olstad