I'm trying to split up a large playbook into roles and it's going pretty
well except I'm having trouble with variables not being pulled in from the
roles vars or defaults files.

My playbook has this test playbook with a pre_task:

---
- hosts: all

#  vars:
#    doreboots: true
#    zadmin_password: Today123zadmin
#    root_password: Today123

  pre_tasks:
    - debug:
        msg: "Playbook WILL REBOOT when requested."
      when: doreboots

  roles:
    - setup_ansible_data

I've moved the "vars:" section (commented out above) to the main.yml files
in both the "vars" and "defaults" directories like this:

---
  doreboots: true

When the playbook is run, I get this error:

TASK [debug]
fatal: [system.example.com]: FAILED! => {"failed": true, "msg": "The
conditional check 'doreboots' failed. The error was: error while evaluating
conditional (doreboots): 'doreboots' is undefined\n\nThe error appears to
have been in '/etc/ansible/roles/sysprep/test.yml': line 10, column 7, but
may\nbe elsewhere in the file depending on the exact syntax problem.\n\nThe
offending line appears to be:\n\n  pre_tasks:\n    - debug:\n      ^
here\n"}

Or more human readable:

The conditional check 'doreboots' failed. The error was: error while
evaluating conditional (doreboots): 'doreboots' is undefined

The error appears to have been in '/etc/ansible/roles/sysprep/test.yml':
line 10, column 7, but may
be elsewhere in the file depending on the exact syntax problem.

The offending line appears to be:

  pre_tasks:
    - debug:
      ^ here