Did this make it into 2.3 and if so where would I find constants.py to
change the default precedence order?  I would have thought something like
this would be set in ansible.cfg

I've been wading through the many posts on how variable precedence works
and many including one from you on another post state:

playbook/group_vars are meant to override the inventory as plays are more
> specific than inventory.

This doesn't make sense to me (and a lot of other people it seems), I had
assumed:

   1. A playbook applies a set of roles to one or more servers (i.e. *what*
   to do), it would naturally follow that playbooks/group_vars/<group>.yml
   apply to all servers in the playbook.
   2. An inventory file defines which servers the playbook will apply the
   roles to (i.e. *where* to do it), it *should* natually follow that we
   can use inventories/<name>/group_vars/<group>.yml to override playbook
   group_vars as inventories are more specific about where to run tasks than
   plays

With the playbook taking precedence over inventories there is no obvious
place to have "global" variables for a group (as defined in inventory file)
that can be overridden as needed in each inventory. All.yml doesn't make
the cut as this can't be used to define group level variables.

So, if this change for changing the default precedence order has not yet
made it into Ansible can you point me at any documentation that can show me
how to define global variables for groups that can be overridden .  All the
links I've followed try to jump though hoops to do what should be a simple
excercise and the ansible documentation is rather quiet on the subject
(unless I've missed something) - which is a common complaint in the posts
I've been reading.

Thanks
  Andrew