We do exactly that: We run ansible in pull mode with AD as inventory.

Maybe you can take a look at the dynamic inventory script we use:
https://github.com/ANTS-Framework/ants/blob/master/antslib/inventory/inventory_ad
(Because it is used for ansible-pull, it will only return the current host,
but it should give you some ideas.)