On 15.02.2018 00:08, Michael Perzel wrote:
My real use case is a patching playbook. I have a collection of servers I want to patch one at a time (serial: 1) but there are a set of decommision steps I only want to run once for the entire group. Then patch the servers one by one. Then there is a set of commission tasks I want to run once for the entire group. If I put run once on the pre/post tasks. It still gets
run once per play eg once per host.

If it helps, the full context is this is a cassandra cluster. I want to
stop the repair service, patch the whole cluster 1 node at a time, then
start the repair service.

How to make this work is documented under note section of run_once.
http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/playbooks_delegation.html#run-once

--
Kai Stian Olstad