On Thursday, 22 February 2018 19.44.51 CET Jonathan Umpleby wrote:
> So, I'm new to ansible, and I'm hoping to find ways to meet a
> customize-able CLI deployment scenario, where 99% of the commands are the
> same across devices, but a handful will be unique.
>
> I was originally thinking about using a single response file would cover
> the 99% (in my example I'm trying to configure multiple ProxySG's at the
> same time).
>

> There are really two unknowns here (possibly 3).
>
> The first:
>
> I need to configure 3 network interfaces across 12 devices, all having a
> different IP's and subnet masks.  Is there a way to sequentially pull this
> from a list  lets say I have response files like:
>
> interface 1 list
>
> 10.0.0.100 - coordinates to the first device
> 10.0.0.101
> etc
>
> interface 2 list
> 10.0.1.100
> 10.0.1.101
>
> or what would be the best way to accomplish this kind of task.

The information is a little sparse so it difficult to give a exact answer.
Ansible can loop over list and dictionary, and a combination of them.

Variables can be assign to host/device or to group, how you structure it
depends on what you are trying to do.

> The second:
>
> I'd like for obvious reasons, not store passwords in the playbook
>

> If I added something like this:
>
>  vars_prompt:
>   - name: 'enable_password'
>     prompt: 'Enable password:'
>     private: yes
>     encrypt: 'sha512_crypt'
>     confirm: yes
>     salt_size: 7
>

>   how would I use this in the script.  After I ssh into the device I would
> need to type  a password for the enable which is what i'm trying to then
> present through the script in a secure way.

vars_prompt create a variable with the name you give in name: that contain the
content.
You use is with {{ enable_password }} in Ansible.

Since you need to do this interactively you need to use the expect module.

--
Kai Stian Olstad