Running Ansible 2.4.1.

So sometimes running my task works, and other times it doesn't and I don't
understand why this is happening...

The task is:

- name: mac | Install global python dependencies
  easy_install:
    name: "{{ item }}"
    state: latest
  become: true
  with_items:
    - pip
    - virtualenv

and it occasionally fails with:

vmware-vmx: TASK [common : mac | Install global python dependencies]
***********************
vmware-vmx: failed: [default] (item=pip) => {"changed": false, "failed":
true, "item": "pip", "msg": "Couldn't find index page for 'pip' (maybe
misspelled?)\nNo local packages or download links found for pip\nerror:
Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('pip')\n"}
vmware-vmx: failed: [default] (item=virtualenv) => {"changed": false,
"failed": true, "item": "virtualenv", "msg": "Couldn't find index page for
'virtualenv' (maybe misspelled?)\nNo local packages or download links found
for virtualenv\nerror: Could not find suitable distribution for
Requirement.parse('virtualenv')\n"}

But it sometimes passes?

Can anyone shed any light on why this happens or what I can change to my
task?

Thanks!