No docs really, this is not something people normally hit as it is
rare to try to do indirect lookups via hostvars. It has more to do on
how hostvars works than anything else, it is a lazy object that is
lazy loaded vars, pre 2.5 we woudl load all vars per host and keep
that info (w/o it having any access to task info), in 2.5 now we don't
preload per host, but it still has no 'task info'.

When using vars directly you do have the task info always available,
that is the main difference, i'm looking at the possibility of adding
task info to hostvars, but precedence and how variable management
works in general makes this difficult.