I would also add that the raw module works great for devices on which you
don't get a full environment.
For example, in my environment we have a EMC Data Domain.
When logged in, I don't have a traditional shell, and the shell I use
doesn't expose Python to me... if it is present at all.

I use the 'raw' module to execute commands on it.